PILATES FOR MUMS | WHAT DOES IT INVOLVE?
Pilates is a gentle but kind workout for mums and here at Live Love Pilates we ensure that your classes brought to you at home are tailored to your specific needs as a new mum and beyond.
Pilates mat exercises as a whole aim to carefully recover and strengthen the pelvic floor muscles and gently tone the abdominal area, restoring posture and stabilizing the pelvis and lower back. Naturally, the female body is put through an a lot during pregnancy as well as also during those early months as new mum so, once life has settled into a new and slightly busier rhythm, it’s important to put aside a little time to focus on you and your body.
Vanessa has worked with lots of mums, helping them to reconnect with their core and pelvic floor muscles as well as mindfully focusing on posture and overall strength. Vanessa has discovered that the majority of the new mums she is working with have similar aches and pains. Hence, below is a mini questionnaire posed to a current new-mum client who has two children and does two weekly classes at home (a duet class with her husband and a private one-to-one class) explaining just how much Pilates has benefited her both physically and mindfully during her day to day life since starting just 5 months ago.
Live Love Pilates aims to help mums leave each and every mat class, whether it be a private, duet or group class, feeling STRONG, HEALTHY and FULL OF ENERGY!
- LLP: How has Pilates benefited you since starting weekly classes in Autumn 2015? Since starting Pilates, I feel more connected to my body and more conscious of it.
- LLP: What is the most positive change you have noticed since starting Pilates? I started as I had bad lower back pain and having recently had two children, carrying them was not great for my back. Since I’ve started Pilates, I can honestly feel a difference! I feel l am stronger (and I can slowly but surely see it in exercises l do with Vanessa). The way I carry our children is different. I consciously connect with my muscles first and it feels differently and better. I don’t have pain in my lower back anymore…which says it all! My posture has also changed and like l said before, l am more conscious of my whole body which surprisingly has a positive impact on my sleep as well.
- LLP: As a mum, why does LIVE LOVE PILATES mat work classes work for you? Having the classes at home is great as both the children are in bed so no need for a babysitter. I do the classes with my husband who loves it too! Exercising together is lovely as we spend an evening together doing something for ourselves. Vanessa is great at juggling from one to the other. The class is always very personal even though we are doing it together.
- LLP: Would you recommend LIVE LOVE PILATES to other mums? YES I WOULD!!! 100% …We feel we are investing in our health and can already see the changes which is fantastic!
Vanessa has incredible energy and this comes through wholeheartedly in her teaching. The sessions are a combination of techniques that are perfectly suited to my needs. I think that one of Vanessa’s special teaching gifts is her intuition to know what the client’s body needs. I feel in safe hands and there is a perfect balance of challenging moves as well as familiar ones. Vanessa comes to my home which is very convenient. I am an air hostess with two children and l feel that over the last 6 months my core strength from Pilates has helped me to lift my little girl into the swings and also push the trolleys on the aeroplanes! THANK YOU VANESSA!
– Helen: Private 1:1 class – Mum of two
Vanessa is absolutely brilliant! She has helped me get back in touch with my body since having three pregnancies and births very close together. I am amazed at how quickly I have learnt from her clear and hands on instruction and am now feeling much more in touch and aware of my posture and physical ability. Such a positive and lovely person to work with! Thank you Vanessa!
– Amy: Private 1:1 class – Mum of three
Vanessa is fantastic! She comes to my home and directly sets the tone with her soft music… I love it! I feel so relaxed and she helps me to re-connect with my body after my two pregnancies. You can feel her passion about Pilates. She takes such good care and pays attention to everything; helping you to do better. I can’t recommend her enough. I look so forward to our session. Thanks Vanessa!
– Camille: Private 1:1 class – Mum of two
Vanessa and I started working together at what was a very anxious time for me. I had a six-week old baby and was recovering from a serious back and shoulder injury that had been so bad with my first child that I was unable to pick him up without pain. I was incredibly nervous about starting an exercise programme but Vanessa has been beyond incredible. She is a master of her craft, knowledgeable and patient. She instinctively understands when I’m nervous and knows just when to adjust an exercise or when to push me outside of my comfort zone. With Vanessa’s help and support I have recovered fully from my back injury, for the first time in three years I am free from constant pain and, the most priceless gift of all, I am able to lift and hold my babies without fear of injury. Add to that the fact that I am now confident enough to flaunt a flat tummy in a bikini, which after two babies is no mean feat, and you’ll see why Vanessa has been my guardian angel.
– Kate: Duet class – Mum of two
I cannot recommend Pilates with Vanessa highly enough. I have a list of ailments from an injury I sustained some years ago and they in turn cause me a lot of problems, especially with my back, pelvis and ankle. Since I have started my Pilates lessons with Vanessa the stress they are causing on my everyday life has been hugely reduced.
I started my lessons with Vanessa after my second caesarean, which was very complicated and left me with a several problems. One of my key concerns was to regain the strength in my abdominal muscles, which, in turn, would help strengthen my back and make my stomach more taught. With both of my pregnancies I had severe problems with my upper and lower back and knew that I need to address these areas. I discussed this with Vanessa and she adapted the lessons to suit me and my specific needs. Since starting the lessons I have noticed a marked improvement and now no longer worry about my upper back and am solely concentrating on my lower back. Vanessa is brilliant at paying attention to all of the moves that you make. She will encourage you when you are doing well and is aware when you are not and takes the time to explain and correct you, so that you gain the maximum benefit from every lesson. When you work with Vanessa you will notice an improvement every time and that in itself is very encouraging.
Vanessa has unending patience and an incredible grace to the class that is really inspiring. As soon as I did my first lesson I noticed a difference not only in my physical state but also with the amount of energy I had due to breathing correctly. The lessons are really enjoyable, productive and helpful to your body. You leave the lesson feeling much more at peace with things and you really do focus on the task at hand and leave all your other problems behind. Not only are you benefiting physically but you are also benefiting mentally. As they say physical and mental well-being is the way to a happy life!!
– Tilly: Private 1:1 class – Mum of two
Vanessa is just the most friendly and lovely teacher I know! She is so calm, patient and enthusiastic! Time spent with her it’s just what everyone needs… I highly recommend!
– Paulina: Private 1:1 class – Mum of one